Innovation Center Guidelines
Glenview Public Library’s Innovation Center is a collaborative makerspace with a variety of design tools that foster creative development where patrons can learn new skills and experience a wide variety of technologies. Innovation Center Staff not only facilitate access to information, resources, equipment and community but also promote inclusion, diversity, learning, and creativity.
The Innovation Center is open to Glenview Public Library cardholders; however, to use Innovation Center equipment, users must have filled out and signed the online Usage Agreement/Liability Waiver. Patrons under age 18 must have the Minor Child document signed by a parent or guardian.
Appropriate Use of Space
- Users must be ages 11+ to be in the Innovation Center without a parent/guardian. Users younger than 11 and vulnerable adults of any age must be accompanied and monitored at all times by a parent or other responsible caregiver who is age 14 or older. Exceptions may be made to these age guidelines for collaborative cross-departmental programs.
- Users of the Innovation Center must adhere to all Glenview Public Library policies and obey all applicable local, state, and federal laws when using the Innovation Center.
- Innovation Center Staff will facilitate the printing of a patron’s design files for the Laser Cutter, 3D Printer, and Embroidery machine. Patrons may use other equipment independently in the Innovation Center upon approval of staff. The Innovation Center is a respectful, collaborative, creative workspace for those actively engaged in designing and making physical or digital media works. Users not engaged in such activities will be asked to relocate to a different area in the Library.
- The Innovation Center is a working space, and the noise level may exceed the comfort level of some users. Software Sundays are quieter hours with no use of equipment to provide an opportunity for patrons who may be more sensitive to noise.
- No food or drink are allowed in the Innovation Center without the permission of staff.
- The Glenview Public Library’s Innovation Center is not available for rent.
- The Innovation Center will close the second Friday of each month for staff training and may be closed as needed.
- Innovation Center staff are not available at the request of the patron, staff are simply available based on circumstances.
Use of Equipment and Materials
- Prior to using the Innovation Center tools or equipment, projects must be reviewed and approved by a staff member.
- Patron use of equipment and tools is available on a first come, first served basis, and is limited to 2 hours per day. If no one is waiting to use the equipment or tools, use may be extended at the staff’s discretion.
- We accept 3D print requests from GPL cardholders. There is a maximum of two prints per household per week and limited to six hours or less. Your file must be sent in via email to email@example.com. Wait times will vary and we do not print on demand. Once 3D prints are completed, patrons will be contacted, and the item requested will be available for pick-up behind the Circulation Desk.
- Use of some equipment and tools requires staff assistance to operate.
- Projects and/or items to be created must be completed during the Innovation Center’s normal business hours. Requests to create projects and/or items that have a completion time within the final 60 minutes of library closing time may be postponed at staff discretion.
- Users may bring in their own materials for use with library equipment provided they are preapproved by staff. All materials must be compliant with guidelines for each piece of equipment; patrons must provide the Safety Data Sheet (as available).
- The Library offers some materials for purchase. Materials can be purchased at the Library’s Circulation Desk. Materials will be sold at cost; a full list of materials is available on the Library’s website. The Library does not offer refunds for materials used or for any remnants.
- The Library cannot guarantee quality of:
- patron satisfaction
- equipment availability or stability
- confidentiality of design, or specific delivery times
- Users are responsible for the storage of their digital files and must provide their own storage devices as needed. (Storage devices are available for purchase at the Circulation Desk). The Library is not responsible for data lost during the creation or digitization process.
- The Library and Innovation Center Staff are not responsible for:
- damage to a project
- if a project does not print correctly
- if a project does not work
- or if a user’s personal equipment is damaged or destroyed while using any of the Library’s machines or tools.
- The Library and Innovation Center Staff are not liable for:
- any loss
- expenses incurred by any user resulting from the utilization of Innovation Center equipment, software, advice or information
- All Innovation Center Equipment must stay in the Innovation Center. Approval may be given to use the equipment elsewhere in the Library.
- Issues, accidents, or injuries must be reported immediately to staff and an incident report must be filed.
Patrons are expected to use the Innovation Center and its equipment in an appropriate manner. The Glenview Public Library may deny use of library equipment and tools to individuals who do not take proper care of and/or recklessly use equipment and tools. Users will be held responsible for willful misuse or damage to equipment.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse any project and/or item creation request.
- Equipment may not be used to produce the following:
- Content or objects prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- Weapons or look-alike weapons.
- Objects or materials that would be considered obscene or inappropriate for the Library environment.
- Any violation of Intellectual Property Rights is the sole responsibility of the patron.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs all reproductions of copyrighted material. Users of the Innovation Center are responsible for any related infringement. By submitting content or objects, the user agrees to assume all responsibility for, and shall hold the Library harmless in, all matters related to patented, trademarked, or copyrighted materials. The Glenview Public Library is not responsible for any damage, loss, or security of data arising from the use of its computers or network, nor for the functionality or quality of content produced in the Innovation Center.
Contact us about the Innovation Center via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 847-729-7500 ext. 3020.