1930 Glenview Road, Glenview, IL 60025
847-729-7500 • Monday-Friday 9 AM-9 PM
Saturday 9 AM-5 PM • Sunday 1 PM-5 PM
Unlimited Possibilities @ Your Library is the theme for National Library Week 2015, April 12–18. Initiated in 1958, National Library Week has become a nationwide celebration of libraries and the essential role that they play in the enrichment of people’s lives. Patrons turn to libraries in their quest for knowledge, to grow and to achieve their dreams. Librarians offer expert guidance to assist users to expand their worlds and to enter new realms of creativity.
The Glenview Public Library offers a wealth of unlimited possibilities to its patrons every day. Here are just a few that you may want to check out:
• Treat yourself to one of the many Adult Enrichment Programs offered year-round: concerts, special lectures and culinary events—diverse topics to appeal to a wide variety of interests.
• Learn more about your “Family Tree” utilizing the resources available in the Genealogy & Local History Room. Rare documents and books on Glenview’s history and early settlers to the region, access to genealogy databases, such as Ancestry.com and archival holdings on microfilm and microfiche are all available to enable your search.
• Combine early literacy, family engagement and physical activity by taking your child on a StoryWalk. Developed in partnership with the Glenview Park District, the StoryWalk displays the pages from a carefully selected children’s storybook along a path in Little Bear Park in The Glen. This is a great interactive activity for parents to enjoy with their youngsters!
• Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your home because the weather is challenging? The Library is at your fingertips anywhere, anytime via the Library’s new mobile App, MyMediaMall (downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks), and Zinio (downloadable magazines), and a wide selection of electronic databases. Your library card is the “key” that unlocks the door to these valuable online resources.
• For the visually or hearing impaired patron, a multitude of assistive devices, including a state-of-the-art Merlin HD Video Magnifier, an ADA compatible Computer Workstation, a TTY machine, and a Large Print collection of fiction and nonfiction materials, are available free of charge for use at the Library.
• In a hurry? Pick up and drop off materials anytime during regular business hours at the Library’s Drive-Up Window. A call ahead is appreciated for pick-ups. This is particularly appealing in inclement weather, as there is no need to park your vehicle and get out of your car. Stay warm, drive up and be greeted with a smile!
• The Library as gathering place—meet your neighbor for a cup of coffee in the entry lobby or reserve one of the Library’s many public meeting spaces. Study Rooms are available for groups of 1-6 people, the Multipurpose Room is free of charge and seats forty-eight, and the Community Room, complete with kitchen facilities, seats 160 and can be reserved for a nominal fee.
A special “Thank You” to the Friends of the Glenview Library for their most generous donation of $40,000! These funds were made possible through the Friends’ Annual Appeal and the very successful Used Book Store in the Library’s West Entry Lobby. With the hard work of Irene Kreer and her dedicated volunteers, thousands of gently used books find their way into new homes each year—and the Glenview Library is the beneficiary. This gift from the Friends makes it possible for the Library to create many more “unlimited possibilities” for the residents of Glenview.
Stop by during National Library Week to sample some of the many special programs and events that are being offered. I would also like to warmly extend my personal invitation to the Patron Appreciation Reception, Thursday, April 16, 2-4 PM in the Library Lobby, hosted by the Circulation Staff. Enjoy the opportunity to mingle with neighbors and Library staff.